Please note change topic and speaker for Topic 1:
1. Recent changes to the sentencing regime under the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act.
Presented by Mr Sean Jeppesen, Barrister.
After graduating with first class honours in law and being awarded the University Medal, in 1999 Sean worked as a Tipstaff / Researcher for Mr Justice Dunford and Mr Justice Smart in the Common Law Division in the Supreme Court of NSW. He was admitted as a Solicitor in May 2001 and commenced practice at Blake Dawson Waldron in commercial litigation. He came to the Bar in 2004 after also spending several years in Academia lecturing in a wide variety of legal areas including Equity, Property Law, Torts, Civil Procedure and Criminal Law.
Since coming to the Bar, Sean has principally practiced in criminal law at Lachlan Macquarie Chambers. His interest in this area was sparked during his prior undergraduate study of Criminology. Since coming to the Bar he has developed a wide experience in appearing in the Local Courts and District Courts and has also appeared in the Court of Criminal Appeal.
2. Statutory demands and bankruptcy notices: A framework for avoiding the pitfalls associated with these two instruments.
Presented by Mr Pouyan Afshar, Barrister.
Pouyan came to the Bar in 2012. He practised as a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution group at Baker & McKenzie and worked as a solicitor in the Dispute Resolution and Tax groups at Allens. As a solicitor, he practised primarily in commercial litigation, including large-scale litigation, in a wide range of industries and involving diverse areas of law.
At the Bar, Pouyan practises mostly in commercial litigation, corporations, equity, professional negligence, product liability, defamation and tax law.
He has appeared in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, the Supreme Courts of Queensland and Victoria, the Federal Court of Australia, the NSW Court of Appeal, the Full Court, the High Court, the District and Local Courts of New South Wales, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, NCAT and VCAT.
Venue: University of New England Campus Level 1, 232 Church Street Parramatta
Time: 5.30 pm – 7.30 pm with a tea and coffee break
Cost: $50 (per person) for members, $60 for non-members (Surcharges and booking fees apply for payments by credit card)
RSVP: The booking form below or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can be made by credit card using the form below;
- Can be made by EFT or direct deposit using the form below Please disregard discount. This is applied to avoid the payment being processed as a credit card payment. The bank account details are:
Name of account: Parramatta and District Law Society Inc
Bank: National Australia Bank
BSB: 082401 Account Number: 675961643
- by cheque using the form below. Please disregard discount. This is applied to avoid the payment being processed as a credit card payment. Print a copy of your booking confirmation, attach your cheque and send to PO Box 550, Parramatta, NSW, 2150. Cheques to be made payable to Parramatta and District Law Society Inc.
- on the day by cheque made payable to Parramatta and District Law Society Inc or cash only.